You know what you want for your new dream home or cottage. You’ve done lots of research, collected hundreds of ideas and sketched out the floor plan. You could contract with a low-cost drafting service for permit drawings and they will execute the drawings based on your specifications. You will save a little money upfront, but you will not receive comprehensive design advice or construction expertise and you will be on your way to building a home that may be something very different from what you really want and need. Plus, you won’t know the true budget until the drawings are complete and you consult with builders.
Some homeowners may be able to put together a decent plan on their own, but it will probably result in a home that is less than what it could be. They saved a few thousand dollars in the beginning of the project by not hiring an architecture firm, but once built there will likely be features of the home that don’t quite work or construction may have cost more than it needed to cost.
Ask yourself these questions:
- Would you design your own dress for the next charity gala without the help of a clothing designer or experienced seamstress?
- Would you design your own office chair and have it made to your specifications by a manufacturer without any help from a product designer?
- Would you determine the treatment plan for your teen’s braces without consulting an orthodontist?
- Why take such a risk on a project as important and costly as building your dream home?
Did you know…
- … natural light compensates for square footage? A room will feel larger with well-placed windows.
- … every custom home, cottage or renovation presents its own unique set of characteristics? As such there is no “one-size-fits-all” process for coming to the best solution. The art of good design is about having a diverse set of tools, experiences and approaches to develop the best possible solution.
- … without a deep understanding of the needs of those who will be living in the home and how the space and rooms will be used, any design is a shot in the dark with less than 50% chance of addressing the needs of the user? Therefore, it is critical to begin with a project programming phase, where client needs and wants are thoroughly explored along with site features, zoning and restrictions to deeply understand the project goals, vision and feasibility before jumping into the design.
These are just a few of the considerations that really matter when designing a custom home or cottage. There are hundreds of critical details to address for every project. Doesn’t it make sense to spend a small percentage of the project cost upfront to ensure the experience of building your dream home is a joy and not a nightmare? After all, you’re spending $500,000, $750,000 or $1 million on a new custom home—a home you and your family hope to enjoy for many years to come!
You are an experienced professional.
You’ve spent many years becoming an expert in your field. Just as you bring great value to your clients or colleagues because of your expertise, our team will do the same for you. It wouldn’t be advisable for a person with no legal experience to represent themselves in an important court case, or a person with no medical training to formulate the course of treatment for a serious illness.
Likewise, if you are building a home or cottage and want a space that is beautiful, efficient and highly functional for your needs, choose an architecture firm with extensive experience, one who has designed 100s of unique homes and cottages for highly-satisfied clients. That is the value we bring. Experienced designers know how to design a living space that expresses your needs, wants and vision. You want to place the design of your most valuable asset in the hands of an experienced professional. We design homes and cottages that are not only beautiful but are also efficient to construct and highly-functional for YOUR life. It’s our mission every time we embark on a new project—to fulfill our client’s VISION.
Your vision, needs, wants & passions + Our creativity, knowledge & expertise = Your dream home or cottage
If you are embarking on the journey of building your custom home or cottage or you’re considering a major renovation, take a few minutes to chat with Jim Bell. He has over 30 years of experience making dreams come true for hundreds of very satisfied home and cottage owners. If it’s not the right fit for you, Jim is the first to recognize and honour your needs and will suggest other options. But if you see a fit, Jim will welcome the opportunity to join you on your journey. He will listen. He will help you to shape your vision. And he will gladly carry the burdens so that your journey is easier every step of the way. Contact us today